Monday, July 26, 2010

It's a deep one guys ~ Get ready...

Those who know me know that I am influenced by music. Most of the people in my family are. I have said several times that I could put together a soundtrack of my life based on what was popular at the time. I hear songs now and I can remember where I was living/what was going on in my life at that time.

There are some songs that really speak to me though. Maybe it's just me, but I take the lyrics to heart.

Two of those songs have really been influencing me lately. One is an older song, but one I have loved since it came out in 1990. "Only Here for a Little While" by Billy Dean, and "These are the Words I Would Say" by Sidewalk Prophets.

While the genre/music style is different, the message is the same; "Tell people what they mean to you while you are here! Get your business taken care of daily." We've all had those people in our life that we wish we could have spoken to one last time before they passed on. We wish would could have told them how much they meant to us. OR, we wish they would have taught us something; told us more about themselves while they were here.

My Daddy died when I was 15. There are many things I wish I would have said to him. He was a great man, and taught me a lot, but I know there was more he would have taught me as I got older.

I don't have any children, but I do have family and friends. I have two nephews, and an "adopted niece" who I love very much. I try to be a positive influence on their lives and teach them something whenever we are together. Whether it's important to spend quality time with people while baking cookies, or how volcanoes work, or just letting them know how important they are and how much God loves them.

So, today I took both of these songs to heart. I really thought about what I would want to say to each of them if I knew I would not be here tomorrow. I sat down, and I hand wrote each of them a letter. I let them know what a blessing they have been to me and gave them that bit of encouragement, love and advice I would give them if I were here.

They are sealed in envelopes in my drawer and will be given to them after I pass on. None of us are promised the next breath, and I won't stop encouraging, teaching and loving them as long as I am here. Hopefully, by the time they grow up the letters will be obsolete, because I will have said it all myself. But, just in case I want them to have that last bit from me.

I hope this doesn't come across as macabre. Sometimes it is really hard to translate the feelings/intentions I have in words.

Why am I posting all of this here, on a blog? Two reasons. 1) I want to let those family members who actually read this blog (both of you) know about it and know to give the young ones the letters. 2) To encourage you to tell your family and friends how much you love them. How important they are, and how much they have blessed you.

If you wish, here are the two songs that have inspired this post today. Listen to the lyrics, and tell your loved ones just how important they are to you.








Love,
Wendy Darling

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Wendy, this is a little depressing, but I definitely see your heart in doing this. I think that will be really special for your family members!

Princess LadyBug said...

All I can say is amen, sister of my heart! You know I am a big supporter of loving out loud. Never pass up an opportunity to say I love you, to encourage someone, or to just hold their hand if that's what they need.

Having said that I'd like for you to know that I have never known anyone with a bigger, sweeter heart than you, Wendy darling. You are an inspiration and a role model. Your patience, kindness, love, caring, support, & encouragement have meant more to me that I can ever express with mere words.

You are a light in the darkness, a hand when I've fallen, a kind word when I'm sad, a sweet voice that rises above the din, and a soothing touch when I'm hurting. I pray that your years are many, but when the end of your path does come know that you leave this world in better shape than the day you entered it, just by being you.

I love you, Wendy darling!

Now I've got to go find some tissue. :P

Kwizgiver said...

What a lovely post, I don't think it's macabre at all.

WendyDarling said...

Thank you ladies, I appreciate your kind words.

And, Princess, I need tissue as well! :-)