Saturday, January 19, 2008

They have definitely run out of original ideas...



For quite some time now it has been my opinion that movie writers have run out of original ideas. In the last couple of years a lot of the movies were just "rehashed" older movies with a new look. The worst is that they are just taking old 60s and 70s TV shows and making them into movies.



I mean, "The Brady Bunch Movie" a few years ago was funny. Lame, but funny. It was made to be "cheesy" and it succeeded. There was also "Bewitched", , "Leave it to Beaver", "Underdog", "Rocky and Bullwinkle", "The Longest Yard" and now they are making "Dallas" and "I Dream of Jeanie". On Tuesday night while I was waiting to see another remake, "The Chipmunk Movie" (which was kind of cute) I saw the trailer for "Speed Racer." Yes, "Speed Racer." Oh. My. Word. They have reached the bottom of the barrel. Personally, I'm waiting for "Good Times With The Waltons: The Mountain meets The Ghetto"



I mean, seriously are there no original ideas anymore? I know that this isn't the only generation to do that. They have been remaking movies for decades. Sabrina was done in 1954 and remade in 1995. Heck, there were 4 versions of the "Titanic.



It seems like they get "writers block", and say "Let's look at the classics and TV shows we grew up with, tweak them a litlle, cast big name stars, add some subtle inuendos that the adults will catch, but is subtle enough to go over the kids heads. Let's create a cool soundtrack and market the heck out of it." BAM! They have a movie.



Now, I'm not totally against remakes. I'll admit that I really liked the 1997 version of "Titanic." I saw it 4 times. But, I also watched the 1953 version, and the 1958s "A Night To Remember". I am sure if those film makers had the budget/technology that James Cameron had they would have made just as good a movie.



I understand that sometimes movies are remade because technology has changed, and the directors can now do what was impossible even 10 years ago. I get that. If they are doing it to update the quality of the film I guess I can appreciate that. I mean, just think how much cooler "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" would look done with todays technology. But, the nostalgia (there's that word again) would be gone. Although, NO ONE would be able to match the acting of Richard Dreyfuss in that one. :-)



I guess what I am trying to say is "Get some original ideas already!"



Just to try to get some of that back, I went online and found a clip from the ORIGINAL "Chipmunks" show. I hope you enjoy it. :-)



Love,
Wendy Darling

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I totally agree with you! No new original thought whatsoever. And yet writers are still getting canned. What is up with that?