Wednesday, July 02, 2008

For the Love of the Game...

I don't often write a post about my younger nephew, because I am not with him as much as I am "Little Mark."  So, I leave those posts to his dad.   But, I thought that in honor of this weekend I would write a little post about the "younger nephew" in honor of  his love of baseball.

The child loves baseball.

I don't know how else to say it.   When he was much younger, and stayed with us overnight for the first time, without Mom and Dad, he cried at bed time.   Maybe it was a little more than "crying." I remembered lots of tears and gnashing of teeth.  Little sleeping.  (And that was just us.)

 So, we called "Mom" who said, ""Turn on the baseball channel."  Oh yeah!  That did the trick.   I don't even remember who was playing, but I still say "God bless them."

The next time he stayed with us I thought I should check out a book about baseball to read to him for a bedtime story.  So, I went to the library and got the book "Home Run."   It's about The Babe.

After about the 50th time of reading the book I decided it might be a good idea to check and see if we could get a copy for the little man.   Amazon came through for us, and the little guy received this for his birthday that year.  :-)

Now, while you are out this weekend celebrating the beginning of our great country, don't forget about what we also associate with it.  Freedom,  America, apple pie and the greatest sport ever played;  baseball. 

Have a great weekend, y'all.
Love,
Wendy Darling

No comments: