Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I am still around...

I know it has been a few days since I posted, and I wanted to let you guys know that I am still around. ;-)
"Little Mark" has been attending day camp at church this week, and I was asked to teach a baking class today. I had 15 children, ages 7-14, in our church kitchen. We made these Chewy Oatmeal Spice Bars

I got the recipe from Gayle at Grocery Cart Challenge At first I was concerned the kids wouldn't like them because of the oatmeal and all. But, they really surprised me. I made a batch last night to take for them to eat. I knew that the batch they made would not be ready in time, and you just don't let kids bake and then not let them eat what they made. They have to taste it; I believe it is a law. ;-)

Anyway, I stretched out my time by allowing each child to do one thing. They either measured out an ingredient, stirred or used the mixer. That was a challenge with 15 kids let me tell you, but it worked just fine and they all had fun.

Once their batch was in the oven then they got to eat the batch I brought. Perhaps "eat" is too vague. It was more like "inhaled." I never saw so many children scarf down oatmeal so fast in my life. They actually asked for second and third helpings. :-) Of course, each child got a copy of the recipe, and I feel certain several families in our church will be having this for breakfast before the weekend is over. ;-)

It was a lot of fun, and I wouldn't mind teaching a baking class again, for a day. I don't want to go overboard, after all this isn't "The Next Food Network Star" or anything. :-)

Love,
Wendy Darling

1 comment:

Julie said...

There have been no children in the kitchen, but I have spent the week cooking for 80 of them. The cook for the church day school has been out. It has been a lot of fun. Only when I get home, I still have to cook and clean my house. Hmm. I'm not sure if I could do this everyday.