Thursday, April 10, 2008

6 unimportant things about me...

Yesterday, Dee Dee at "It Coulda Been Worse" posted this meme at her blog, and said if we hadn't done it to consider ourselves tagged. I thought that since I am having trouble coming up with things to write about this would be a good idea. We'll see how "good" of an idea it is after I list my six.

Let's begin.

1) I love to drink pickle juice. I have always loved pickle juice. But, it must be dill or kosher. My parents were convinced that I would destroy my kidneys when I was a child by drinking this. I didn't see the harm. After all, it's just vinegar and spices. :-) It tasted really good to me, and I LOVE pickles. My sister and I actually used to eat cucumbers dipped in vinegar. Yeah, we were weird, but it tasted good; and we WERE eating our veggies. :-)

While typing this I decided to see just how weird I am by googling "drinking pickle juice", and it turns out that there MIGHT be some health benefits to it. http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/pickleJuice.htm Guess I may not be that weird after all. :-)

2.) I bite my fingernails. I always have. It's a nervous habit.

3) I twist my hair. I have done this since I was old enough to have hair to twist. I have tried to stop, but it is of no use. I just can't help it. I don't even realize I am doing it half the time. When I was young I would twist it so badly that it would get into knots, and I wouldn't brush my hair out properly. I would get "rats nests" in my hair, which my daddy would comb out (can we scream OUCH?!) and then would swear to cut my hair off if I didn't comb it properly. My hair was always short when I was little. I always had the "Pixie", "The Tenille", and the "Dorothy Hamill" haircuts. And I wondered why my parents never let me grow it long... :-)

4.) I did not have my first "official" date until my freshman year in college. Yes, I was a late bloomer in the dating arena. I went to a small, private, Christian college, so naturally my first date was with.... a preacher. Go figure. We went out twice. He was nice enough, but it just didn't work out. Later that semester I did get up enough courage to actually ask a guy out. He was also a preacher. It was during "TWIRP" week. That stands for "The Woman Is Required To Pay." It was pretty much a Sadie Hawkins Dance, only it lasted all week, and there was no dance. It was a Baptist college after all. :-) It was still fun, but I do remember getting, shall we say ill, just before "popping the question." Did I mention I was nervous? He was a sweetheart, and of course said, "Yes." He was, however, the only guy I "twirp'd" that year.

5) I failed my driver's test the first time. I hit the cone while trying to parallel park. Apparently this is a major "no-no". The officer explained that it is just like hitting a parked car. I told her I did not know how to parallel park, and probably would not be able to learn. She asked me, "What do you plan to do if you need to park and the only spot available is parallel?" I replied, "Drive around the block until a spot becomes available, or park further away and walk." I passed my second attempt, only because I did not hit the cone. To this day I still cannot parallel park.

6) I cry at movies. This will not come as shock to my friends and family who read this blog, but it is true. I am deeply moved at several movies. I have actually cried so hard that the movie had to be paused long enough for me to regain my composure. This has only happened three times that I can recall. Once during the ending of "My Girl". You know the spot, after the character Thomas J. passes away, and Vada tells his Mom that her mother will take care of him." OK, I'm crying again already... The second was "Of Mice and Men". If you are familiar at all with this movie/book I don't even have to tell you what part I lost it at. If you haven't seen it, rent it. 'Nuff said. The third movie was "Life is Beautiful", the Italian version with the subtitles. I don't normally like subtitled movies, but this one I made an exception for. Now, these are not the only movies that have ever made me cry, but these are the ones where I totally lost it. As I said, the movie had to be paused until I regained enough composure to continue. Thank goodness I was watching each of these on DVD, and not in the theater.

Well, that's my six. For this I will tag Princess Ladybug, Cleggy, Kwizgiver, Julie, Sarah, and anyone else who would like to play along. :-) Be sure to leave me a comment to let me know you did it so I can read it. :-)

Love,
Wendy Darling

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Actually studies show that drinking vinegar can help regulate hormones and the side effects from PCOS. It's a natural appetite suppressant. When taken taken with/before meals, 2 TBSP of vinegar can lower blood sugar as much as 30% (for people with insulin resistance and diabetes), and lowers the overall GI impact of the meal. Daily intake of vinegar reduces carb cravings. Apple cider vinegar is supposed to be the most effective.

Enough blabbering about vinegar. I was just doing research for alternative treatments for my PCOS yesterday, so this is all fresh in my mind!
Hope things are going well with you guys!

Kwizgiver said...

Done: what if this is as good as it gets?: 6 unimportant things about me...

Love ya!!

Julie said...

OK, I have been uninteresting on my blog, too. Come see.

Amy said...

Apparently, I need to start drinking vinegar ... or do you suppose just eating more pickles would do it?