Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Prince Caspian Review...(may contain spoilers)

I will try very hard to not contain any spoilers for those of you who want to see the movie. :-)
Also, please keep in mind that this is MY opinion. I am not a "professional" movie reviewer; I just know what I like...

Unfortunately, I didn't like this movie; which is sad because I looked forward to it for so long. "Little Mark" and I are reading the books together, and we so enjoyed "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" that I had high hopes for "Prince Caspian."

First, if you have read the book then you will notice A LOT of changes in the movie. A LOT.
Because of these changes I found the movie 1) rushed in parts, 2) totally resenting the "conflict" they created between Peter and Caspian, and 3) most of the symbolism from the book was totally cut out/lost in the movie. 4) A lot that the book explained was completely left out of the movie, therefore causing a lot of confusion, 5) they added so MUCH that was not in the book that it totally changed the story for me, and not in a good way. :-(

Although I liked the acting. The actors portraying the Pevensie children did a great job; just as they did in the first one. Ben Barnes did a great job portraying Prince Caspian and Peter Dinklage made a great Trumpkin.

I also could have done without the whole "romance thing" they tried to create between Susan and Caspian. There was many more changes that I didn't like, but I am restraining myself from listing them here, because I do not want to add anymore "spoilers" for those who have not seen the movie.

I promised "Little Mark" I would take him to see it, since we did read the book. However, we will need to have a talk about "creative licensing", and then I will let him form his own opinion. I look forward to hearing what he has to say.

We are planning to take the nephews to the drive-in to see it next weekend. If nothing else, they will get the drive-in movie experience. :-)

SO, did you see the movie? What did you think? I would love to read your opinions in the comment section.

Love,
Wendy Darling

1 comment:

Julie said...

Well, we enjoyed it, mostly. The kids and I have been reading the books and spent most of the movie saying, "They changed that! That didn't happen! Wait, that happened wrong!"

I didn't mind the little romance thing, but I didn't like the conflict with Peter and Caspian. I wished the would have left out the whole castle business and added more of the kids' journey to Caspian.

I think they did a decent job of keeping the flavor of the book, but I really enjoyed the book a thousand times more than the movie.