Monday, January 05, 2009

Book Recommendations

Hello, Everyone :-) I hope you are having a really great new year. Things are beginning to get back to "normal" here. Whatever "normal" is... ;-) We had a nice two week break from school, and we started back today. "Little Mark" is doing well, so far. ;-)

We went back to the gym today, and I feel like my legs are heavy pieces of cement now. We worked out in the pool for over an hour, and according to the trainer that showed us around when we first joined that is like working out for over two hours on the machines.

It feels it too. But, I'm glad I did it. ;-)

Now that the holidays are over I hope to be better about blogging regularly. I'll strive for that anyway. :-)

For my first post of the new year I thought I would share some books with you that have really helped me the last few years. I guess I could have titled this post something like "Self-Help Day", but who would want to read that?

Now, naturally the Bible will be at the top of the list, so we are just going to give that a given. I can't even tell you how much The Scriptures have changed my life. That would require MANY blog posts just for the Bible. So, we will move on.

Breaking Free by Beth Moore



Now, I have made it very clear how much I enjoy Beth Moore Bible Studies. I did do the Breaking Free Bible Study as well, but before that I read the book. A lot of is covered in the study/workbook, but if you don't want to get into all of that the book is a tremendous help. I learned how to take my negative thoughts "captive", and to just let go of a lot of junk. Junk that was keeping me from not only growing in Christ, but hurting personal relationships with friends and family. This book really helped.

Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley AKA "FlyLady"



If you have not heard of FlyLady you are missing a treat. I cannot tell you how overwhelmed/stressed I used to be. I would be so upset if someone saw my home and it was not "perfect." And, to me, it was NEVER perfect. I would also set myself up for failure by setting unrealistic goals for the day.

I would make a "To do" list for that day and there would literally be 25 things (or more) on the list. BIG projects. Things that would normally take a week a to do. Then, I would kill myself trying to get it all done, and I would beat myself up when I didn't finish the list. OR, I would do most of it and still beat myself because I didn't finish. Not to mention I would be cranky. Can anyone say "martyr syndrome?"

Once I heard about FlyLady and I resolved the fact that I am NOT superwoman I became much more relaxed and much happier. :-)

This book will totally change not only your life, but the entire dynamics of your family/household. :-)

Taking Care of the Me in Mommy by Lisa Whelchel



OK, so I'm not a "Mom." But ANYONE who deals with children on a regular basis, runs a household.... heck, if your a woman you need to read this book. It taught me that it IS okay to take time out for ME. To renew my spirit, my health, my sanity. I can't praise this book enough. :-)

OK, it's a short list, but a good list. Maybe I'll do some more later. ;-) I really hope you were inspired to read one of them. :-)

Love,
Wendy Darling

No comments: