Sunday, March 12, 2006

Dear Peter,

I hope you are doing well. I thought I would write and tell you about something else that happened this weekend. As you know dear older nephew spent last week with his Mom in Dallas. I had the week to get some things done and relax, a little.

I also got in the mood to sew this weekend. That happens every once in a while. I pick it up, and put it down (unfinished) :-), a few times a year. This time I decided to go the EASY route, literally. I picked up a pattern for a really basic dress for girl size 3-8. It says EASY on the Simplicity pattern. I picked up some very pretty pastel pink and pastel green fabric for $1 a yard. I got the fusible web and headed home to make my creation. That is when I remembered why I don't like sewing.

First I have to wash the fabric, iron it, fold it and cut off the strings. Then we come to the pattern. WHY do they make patterns from tissue paper? You have to cut it out, iron it, pin it to the fabric exactly like it is on the picture and cut it out, praying you pinned it right. I can't remember what to do with the little points going "in" on the pattern. Am I supposed to cut those out or make them go up on the fabric? I can't remember, so I just cut straight across. I then read the directions, again, for the umpteenth time. Did I say the name of this pattern was EASY by SIMPLICITY? I managed to get the front and back sewn together at the shoulders and the fusible web ironed onto the collar pieces. I then tried for 1 hour to figure out what to do next. During this I realized I sewed one of the back pieces on backwards.

After awhile I decided, "I think I will just take piece #5, the front, which is in one piece and cut it twice. I will stitch the neckline and armholes to finish them off. Then I will just sew up the shoulders and seams and do the hem. Done, a cute little play dress for little girl I babysit. Good idea except that that is when I realized I did not have enough fabric. So, that is where it was left. A partially done green dress in a bag, 1 1/2 yard of pretty pink fabric in the bag, and the pattern, folded, in a bag. Then I took a nap. :-) I plan to go to Wal Mart tomorrow for more fabric. I will let you know if I ever finish this dress. :-)

Tell Tink and boys I said, "HI". BTW, have you seen Captain Hook lately?

Until next time,
Wendy Darling

No comments: