Thursday, August 30, 2007

I have the best brother in the world....

Last night was another night from you know where. Pretty much that describes most of the day. Earlier in the day my brother went to the Health Food store to get some medicine for me, but I STILL could not go to the bathroom, and the gas pains were so bad I could feel them in my chest. My stomach was swollen. I tried lying in every position, again, but NOTHING would help. (I know, this is just a real classy post this time. Sorry)

Around 11:00 I finally woke my brother and asked him to go to Wal Mart to get some Gas X. He went to my sisters room for the keys and check book, at which point she "remembered" that she has "gas relief" medicine in her room. (Praise the Lord, but why didn't she "remember" this sooner?!)

I took the medicine and my brother stayed awake with me to see if it would work. After about an hour I was ready to fall from exhaustion, because I hadn't rested in over a week, but the pain wasn't gone. He wanted to take me to the ER, but I was not going to go to the ER for gas.

SO, he called the "nurse hot line" to find out what we should do. While we waited for the next 1 hr. and 45 minutes for her to call us back, it did subside some. I began to burp (HALLELUJAH), but nothing else.

The nurse finally called back and after talking to her for 30 minutes she said, sit in a hot bath and then use a suppository. If it doesn't help go to the ER. (EXCUSE ME?! I CAN'T GET ANYTHING TO COME OUT, NOT EVEN AIR, AND YOU WANT ME TO PUT SOMETHING IN?!)

It's now between 1:30 am and 2:00 am. Brother heads to Wal Mart for suppositories and I head to the bath tub. Everything gets taken care of and by 3:00 am we are all back in our rooms. I did get some rest, because the gas relief, finally kicked in. I just couldn't do the suppository until this morning. I just didn't have the strength to do it last night. It did work, however, and today has been much better.

After getting up at 6:00 am and going into work dear brother came home at 8:00 am, because he knew I would not feel up to doing laundry, cleaning house and teaching the nephew. (Thankfully, he has an understanding boss.)

I still have an occasional pain in my lower back on the left side, and in the lower abdomen on the left side. I did get gas after lunch today, but I took some gas relief and it is okay.

I was thinking about the irony of it all. Years ago we would order pizza AND have cheese dip in the same meal. And, I am ashamed to say I would eat more than my "fair share". But, I really didn't have stomach problems, other than it "growing." Now, I have been eating healthy, even during all of this the most I "cheated" was cranberry juice, and I am having all of the stomach problems 9 weeks into the plan. :-) Talk about irony.

Wendy Darling


Laslo Hollyfield said...

I am of the school of desperate times call for desperate measures. I would have chugged a 2 liter of Dr Pepper and either burped, or crapped my pants one (y'know the base of that stuff is supposed to be prune juice (urban legend)) and finally got some relief. But that's just how I roll.

WendyDarling said...

I agree, Laslo. And to be honest, I was about ready to try anything, including going to the ER. I was even thinkin "Just how uncomfortable would an enama or colonic be compared to what I am going through?" Yeah, I went there.

I am happy to say that "all is well", except for the broken out area. That is still healing, but very sore in the process.

Sarah said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing better ! For future reference, or maybe just to have on hand, you can get a bottle of Magnesium Citrate at a drug store for like $2. It's in the poop-issues aisle, always off to the side, and in a generic looking wrapper.

Anyway, there is nothing this stuff can't defeat. Nothing. Just don't plan on leaving the house for a few hours!! :)

Cleggy said...

Aw, shucks. Sankooberrymush.

Princess LadyBug said...

You do have the best brother in the whole world! And I hope you're feeling better. If it wasn't Telethon time I'd have taken a few days to come up and help.