Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lessons learned, and a recipe....


I just came back from the fitness center. It is my 3rd day this week to go, but today was a little different, because I learned a few new things. I also believe that if I learned something new today then it is only right I share something new with all of you, because... you know... that would only be fair. So, I am going to share a recipe. But, first, on with what I learned.


1. When you go to the gym, and your mother has a doctor appointment around the same time let her drop YOU off at the gym and pick you up later, instead of vice-versa. Because, your mother might get the hospitals confused and you have to stop in the middle of your huffing and puffing to go pick her up and take her to the correct hospital, which happens to be located RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO YOUR GYM. Then, you have to go back and pick up said "huffing and puffing" again. This can't be good for the heart.


2. When getting on a treadmill make sure you stand on the rubber thingies next to the tread, not directly ON the tread before hitting the start button. BECAUSE the person who used the treadmill just before may not unplug the red ball turning OFF the machine, which RESETS the speed of the treadmill. And then you are at the mercy of whatever speed they were going. Like today when the lady was apparently running a 100 mph marathon. OK, it was only set at a 4. But, to me, who is used to going 2.3 speed that picks up VERY fast. My heart rate went from 95-173 in seconds, literally. It took everything I had to let go with one hand so I could hit the stop button. Praise God, I did it without falling. :-)


I WAS told lesson #2 when I joined the gym, but I forgot.


3. The music you listen to while on the cycle machine and treadmill is VERY important. I listened to Mandissa while doing the weight resistance, but when I got on the cycle machine I flipped the MP3 player to Clay Aiken's Christmas album.

Yes, you read that right. CHRISTMAS. I have really been in the mood to hear some Christmas music, and so I thought it would be a good time. While it was nice, it isn't exactly "heart pumping" if you know what I mean. So, I flipped back to Mandissa (because I LOVE me some Mandissa) and listened to "Shackles" over and over again. THAT is some "heart pumping" music! :-)


Okay, now for the recipe. I call it "Ain't Your Mama's Grilled Cheese" (like the title?) :-)


Ingredients:

1 Whole Wheat Tortilla

1/2 C of grated low fat cheese

about 1/4 C of red bell pepper, sliced

1/2 of an avocado, sliced

about 1/4- 1/2 C of greens ( I like to use Spring Mix Salad)

1 t olive oil


Heat your pan and put in the olive oil. Place the whole wheat tortilla in the pan and move around some to spread the oil. Place the cheese around the tortilla. Lay your other ingredients on the cheese and then fold over tortilla using a spatula or tongs. Cook on one side about 1 minute to brown. Flip and brown the other side. I like to pull mine out so the greens are still a little crisp. (Sometimes I put in mushrooms and onions. Really, you can put in whatever you like)


After I had eaten half my lunch it occurred to me to take a picture of it, so here is a picture of the finished product.

Sorry there aren't any pictures of how to prepare it, but really, if you have ever made a grilled cheese or quesadilla then you know how already. :-)

ENJOY!

Love,

Wendy Darling

No comments: