Saturday, September 15, 2007

"Little Britches"

About three years ago I was at a homeschool convention and I heard about this book, "Little Britches." I am sorry to say that I had never of this book before. "Little Mark" and I became excited about it, and the more I heard/read about it the more excited I got to read it.

We checked it out at the library, and after getting through the first book we decided not only did we need to read the rest, but we needed to own the entire series. It took me awhile, but we finally bought book 2. We just finished it, and we began the next one last night.

Ya'll if you like the Little House series you will absolutely love this book. This is what Amazon.com has to say: "Ralph Moody was eight years old in 1906 when his family moved from New Hampshire to a Colorado ranch. Through his eyes we experience the pleasures and perils of ranching there early in the twentieth century. Auctions and roundups, family picnics, irrigation wars, tornadoes and wind storms give authentic color to Little Britches. So do adventures, wonderfully told, that equip Ralph to take his father's place when it becomes necessary."

In a day and time such as ours, when families don't spend enough time together. When everything is all about "ME", this book is SO REFRESHING. It really shows what a family can do when they pull together.

The main part I love about it is when Little Britches daddy teaches him about building his "character house." It is explained in such a way that even the youngest of readers/listeners can understand it. "Integrity" is not a characteristic taught enough in our society today, but Little Britches definitely personifies integrity. I just can't say enough about this series.

I strongly encourage you to get a copy of the first book and read it with your family. I have a feeling this will be a series that will be handed down from generation to generation, if we are truly blessed.

Love,
Wendy Darling

No comments: