Friday, June 20, 2008

Shout out to Gayle!

Last night I stayed up a little too late, again. What was I doing you ask? I was learning how to become a better homemaker. In the last 24 hours I have learned a few tips to lower my grocery bill. I have learned how to make my own dryer sheets/fabric softener, "GermX" wipes, and some new recipes. :-) It's a winner. (I fully intend to try this recipe and this one very soon. ;-)


Now, Gayle's blog is not new to me. I have been reading it for awhile, but I am sorry to say that I did not REALLY read her "grocery challenge" blog until last night. I skimmed it, but did not
really read it to LEARN something. Oh. My. Goodness. This might just change my life.

It affected me so much that I actually looked through my freezer to see "what I could make for dinner that I already had ALL of the ingredients for, so I didn't need to spend extra money."

How is that for a run on sentence?

Doing this was good, because I actually, you know, COOKED instead of ordering pizza, or going to the old standby of spaghetti or something.

So, after investigating the freezer I discovered that I had 2 bags of frozen, chopped spinach. I looked on the Internet for a spinach recipe and came up with this one. Again, it's a winner. :-) Thank you, Gayle. I may just become a better homemaker because of you. ;-)

Spinach Bake

1 lb. of frozen chopped spinach; thawed and drained
1/4 cup of flour
3 eggs; beaten
1 C cheddar cheese
1/2 C bread crumbs
1/4 C melted butter
1 C milk
1/2 medium onion; chopped
1 clove garlic; minced
1/2 t salt
1/8 t pepper ( I like a little more)
dash nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Thoroughly squeeze all of the water out of the spinach and place in a greased 2 quart dish. Put just a little oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic. Set aside. In another bowl put the milk, eggs and flour. Mix until it is smooth. You don't want any lumps from the flour.

Melt the butter in a small pan. Sprinkle the top of the spinach with a dash of nutmeg and a little salt and pepper. Mix with the onion and garlic. Pour the bread crumbs over the spinach. Put the cheese, salt and pepper and butter in the milk mixture and stir. Pour over the spinach and bake for 50 minutes. Top with about 1/4 cup of cheese and put back in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Enjoy. :-)

Love,
Wendy Darling




1 comment:

Gayle said...

Hey, thanks for the shout out and I'm so glad that you feel inspired. Good job!