Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day....

Today is Father's Day. I wanted to post about my Daddy, and I figured I would just link to the post I wrote last year, but I can't figure out how to do that. SO, I am copying and pasting, and "tweaking" last year's post. :-) Hey, it works for me. :-)

Daddy passed away in 1984. And even though I AM biased I believe he was the best daddy in the world. :-) I remember that his birthday was on June 19th. A lot of times Father's Day fell on his birthday. Every year we got him the same thing, a bottle of "Jade East" cologne. I haven't been able to find that scent in many years. I still remember how it smelled though. :-)

Daddy loved kids. He coached Little League Football, his favorite sport, and his team was undefeated all 3 years he coached. They were only scored against one time, and that was the game they played after we moved. He showed his bravery by volunteering to go to Viet Nam, and by being our Brownie Leader for 2 years when none of the mother's could/would volunteer. He always helped us sell our Girl Scout cookies.

He loved the Oilers and Astros (and anyone who played the Dallas Cowboys). He made great spaghetti sauce and homemade donuts. He coached soccer for my brother, and attended most of our performances at school. He was a wonderful Santa Claus. He worked on Christmas Day, so he would wake us up at 4:00 am to watch us open our gifts. He was just as excited as we were. :-) He had a really good sense of humor, loved music and played the drums. I remember how he used to call me "Wendy Susan" when I was in trouble, and that ISN'T my name. :-) He taught us about respecting other people and yourself, generosity,a good work ethic, giving of our time, to always respect our elders and ALL veteran's, and to take care of your family, always.

I remember how he would take us to the Minor League baseball games during "kids week". He would take only one of each night, so we could have quality time together. I remember the night we won the car at the game. I remember he would buy us frozen yogurt in the little "batters helmets", and how we would give the batter a dollar after he hit a home run. I still love Kevin McReynolds.

He always tried to teach us to think for ourselves, but to obey our parents, and respect our elders.

He loved music. He and Mom would take us to the drive-in movies, and he loved to surprise us with outings. He had a blue car named "Betsy". His whiskers itched, and when he hugged us he would rub them on our face to tease us. :-) He played all 4 sports in high school, and his "dream" was to coach high school football.

He was an EMT. He liked to watch Fritz Von Eric on TV, and he hated liver. :-)

After he died a song was released by Holly Dunn called "Daddy's Hands". I love this song!! Every time I hear it, it reminds me of my Daddy. I will post the lyrics here, but all of the credit for these words go to Ms. Dunn.

I remember Daddy's hands Folded silently in prayer
And reaching out to hold me When I had a nightmare
You could read quite a story In the callouses and lines
Years of work and worry Had left their mark behind
I remember Daddy's hands How they held my Mama tight
And patted my back For something done right
There are things I've forgotten That I loved about the man
But I'll always remember The love in Daddy's hands

Daddy's hands Were soft and kind when I was cryin'
Daddy's hands Were hard as steel when I'd done wrong
Daddy's hands Weren't always gentle but I'd come to understand
There was always love in Daddy's hands

I remember Daddy's hands Working til they bled
Sacrificed unselfishly Just to keep us all fed
If I could do things over I'd live my life again
And never take for granted The love in Daddy's hands

Daddy's hands Were soft and kind when I was cryin'
Daddy's hands Were hard as steel when I'd done wrong
Daddy's hands Weren't always gentle but I'd come to understand
There was always love in Daddy's hands

Daddy's hands Were soft and kind when I was cryin'
Daddy's hands Were hard as steel when I'd done wrong
Daddy's hands Weren't always gentle but I'd come to understand
There was always love ............ in Daddy's hands.

Happy Father's Day to all of you Daddy's. :-)

Love,
Wendy Darling

4 comments:

Princess LadyBug said...

I wish I could have met him. He would have been so proud of all four of you kids.

Unknown said...

That was really sweet...I can tell you were so proud of him. Who wouldn't be - he sounds great! I'm sure you miss him a lot.

Kwizgiver said...

What a lovely tribute! He sounds wonderful!

Jenna said...

hey wendy, thanks for stopping by my blog! yes i am currently in "is this lame" mode, but it is fun! this post on your dad is very sweet. have a great night :)