Thursday, June 21, 2007

Yes, God is even stronger than the Power Rangers....

.... AND SPIDERMAN!

Recently the little Angel that I baby sit has REALLY gotten into the Power Rangers. Now, we don't watch this at our house, because the child tend to get... let's just say they become aggressive.

OK, they become A LOT aggressive. She runs around the house yelling "I am a mean Power Ranger". She hits, yells, throws things, and says mean things, and talks about killing people. Now, you may be saying, "She's just a kid. Let her be a child, let her use her imagination." Well, that's all well and good, and she gets plenty of time to use her imagination. However, it occurred to me last week that I could use this as an object lesson to teach her about the power of the Lord.

I managed to get her to stop jumping on my sofa, and stop hitting me, long enough to tell her who the GREATEST Superhero in the WORLD is. Believe me when I tell you I had her undivided attention. She was very interested to know who could "beat up" her "BAD" Power Ranger. (BTW, I do know about the show and know the PRs are supposed to be the "good guys", but in her world they are bad and she is totally okay with that.)

Anyway, I told her about an "army" of people who had more power than any superhero in the world, they are called "Prayer Warriors". They get all the power they need from God.

She knows about God, and Jesus. We talk about Him all the time. We pray together and her parents do take her to church. She believes Jesus loves her and lives in her heart. So, when all of the Power Ranger stuff became "obsessive" I thought "why not "plant the seed of prayer" now while she is young?"

She became VERY intrigued. I even told her how SHE could become a "REAL" superhero when she became a Prayer Warrior. I told her that she would be more powerful than any other superhero she would see on TV or read about, and that she would help fight greater battles than ANYTHING the PRs would do. She was interested, but not enough to turn in her red Power Ranger costume.

The little nephew has been visiting this week, and he is ALL ABOUT Spiderman. So, the "Angel" and "Little One" have been playing Spiderman vs. the Green Goblin and Power Rangers. Oh yeah, it has been FUN around here, let me tell you. :-)

I took them to the library yesterday for reading time. All the way there all I heard was "Can we get a Spiderman book?" OH, and "Angel" wanted a book about a cat. SO, I had to find a Spiderman book. We got two. Boy, was I excited. (note sarcasm). :-)

So, as we were getting into the car the Little One said, "Spiderman is the great Superhero EVER!" Then "Angel" piped up "Uh, uh... God is. And "payer armies".

I was ecstatic!! She really listened, and REMEMBERED about the prayer warriors. Little One looked very puzzled , so I shared all about Prayer Warriors, again, how God is stronger, yes, even stronger than Spiderman. His eyes were very wide when he asked "Can God beat up the Green Goblin?" Yes, he can DESTROY the Green Goblin. :-)

I would love to tell you that they came home and never talked about the PRs or Spidey again, and just prayed and praised the Lord, but they didn't. What can I say, they are 3 1/2 and almost 5. But, the seed was planted, and I will not give up. Not until God has kicked Spidey's butt, and the Power Rangers are vanquished forever. :-) That will indeed be a good day.

Love,
Wendy

2 comments:

Princess LadyBug said...

I'm glad you made an impression on her. For many reasons. Not the least of which is that your poor couch can't take many more attacks. :P

WendyDarling said...

SO TRUE! We need a new couch. :-)