Monday, June 25, 2007



"Just TRY...."




OK, if you have been reading this blog anytime at all you know that I like to decorate cakes. I actually started decorating cakes as a little girl. My first "cake set" was 2 heart shaped pans (one small, one large) and I would decorate them with regular icing and candy. I have always wanted to do more advanced things, but didn't have the talent, or the "courage" to try. Back then I had a LOW self-esteem about EVERYTHING, so I wasn't about to try to do better because I believed I would fail.




A couple of years ago I was given a cake decorating kit by my sister. I bought a book, and just started to make cakes. I decided to "learn by doing". It was fun. :-) I just read the book, and what I couldn't figure out I made up as I went along. :-) Who was going to know? The cake police?




Finally, I was able to take the Wilton cake decorating classes. Tomorrow night is my last class for Class I. I begin Class II in two weeks. I have really enjoyed this class. It is a lot of fun, and I have learned that I have actually been doing a lot of things correctly all along. :-) I have also learned how to correct the things I was doing wrong. :-) In all of this, I have learned 2 things. 1) You aren't born with the skill to do this. You just have to DO IT. It takes PRACTICE. 2) "I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me." OK, maybe that should have been the first one. :-)




Really ya'll, everything we do we have to have God's help. Yes, he even cares about decorating a cake. He wants us to use the intelligence he gave us, and hone any talents He gives us, or He will take them away. He does not want us to be intimidated, and not even try. Col. 3:23 says "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;" I know this verse by heart, but I don't always remember it at the times I should. Whatever we do, even decorating a cake, we should do our best because that is what He wants. We shouldn't worry that things aren't perfect, as long as we tried our best to please Him.




I was asked recently if I could do a "princess cake" (posted in an ealier blog entry). I have to admit, I was intimidated just looking at the picture. Although, I didn't just say, "NOPE, can't do it." Instead, I looked at it as a goal to learn. No, I can't do THAT cake right now, because I haven't learned all of the techniques needed. But, one day I will. I thought about it and decided to try something similar. So, today I made this cake. :-)




Don't look too close, because you WILL see mistakes, but it was my first attempt. The lady requesting the other (VERY pretty cake) saw it and said, "Yep, make me that one". :-)




Now, where would I be if I hadn't even tried. I have missed out on so much in life due to FEAR. I allowed fear, low-self esteen, and (even worse) having no faith in what God could do, to keep me from growing. FlyLady would call it "FLYing". :-) So, I am going to keep trusting, keep trying, and keep practicing. I'll never be perfect, and that is ok. As long as I do my best. :-)
Do you have anything you have always wanted to do, but have not tried because you didn't believe you could do it? TRY, trust God, and just go for it. :-)
Love,
Wendy Darling


4 comments:

Princess LadyBug said...

It's absolutely beautiful and you are absolutely amazing! I am so proud of you. And I gotta tell you that for the first time in a very long time I'm wishing I wasn't diabetic just so I could eat your practice cakes. :P

Well done, Wendy Darling!

WendyDarling said...

Thank you, Princess. ;-) I sent this one to work with "J" this afternoon, so the lady could see it. When she got off of work she said "they loved it and want the one you do tomorrow night as well." :-) Sure hope those roses come out right tomorrow night. :-)

Kwizgiver said...

Pretty, pretty cake! Wish I lived closer to sample the trial cakes. :-)

WendyDarling said...

Thank you, Kwizgiver. :-) I wish you were closer too. :-)