Saturday, June 30, 2007

His "Love Language" is......

Words of Affirmation.

OK, I know I have already blogged once this evening, but my last post reminded me of why my nephew may have wanted a blog so badly. He LOVES getting the comments. He has only had it 2 days, and I bet he checks for comments 10 times a day. :-) He wants the encouraging words of affirmation.

If you have never read the book "The Five Love Languages of Children" by Gary Chapman, I strongly recommend that you run out and buy a copy. It is such an amazing book. I learned so much. Unfortunately, at different times, like when I am angry/frustrated at the nephew, I don't think about his love language. NOT GOOD.

I do leave him notes on the bathroom mirror written in dry erase marker. I send him letters and cards in the mail, and I do encourage him verbally, but I need to remember to do that ALL OF THE TIME.

The book describes it this way: Words of Affirmation Mark Twain once said “I can live for two months on a good compliment.” Verbal appreciation speaks powerfully to persons whose primary Love Language is “Words of Affirmation.” Simple statements, such as, “You look great in that suit,” or “You must be the best baker in the world! I love your oatmeal cookies,” are sometimes all a person needs to hear to feel loved.


I think I need to reread this book.

Love,
Wendy Darling

6 comments:

Princess LadyBug said...

And I think we all need to leave him more comments. :)

WendyDarling said...

LOL... :-) That is true. He only has 8 people who are invited to read his blog, so I think he expects 8 comments to each one. :-)

Sarah said...

I LOVE the Five Love Languages!! It's made a big difference for Eric and me. A little religion heavy for us, but we just skip those parts. We really understand each other better since we have read it! Although, he doesn't buy my claims that I am ALL the languages. ;)

Sarah said...

So what is yours, BTW?

WendyDarling said...

Although I do have some of each of them as well, my dominant one is "Acts of Service." :-)

Lara said...

Hi Wendy, I found your blog through Boomama (the hub of all blogs). I went back and read a lot of your posts. I think it's so neat that you homeschool your nephew. I semi-homeschool my girls (I posted a blog about this recently) and what a neat way for you to have special time with your nephew. It takes a lot of dedication to homeschool. Pat yourself on the back!

I'm interested in the weight loss book you mentioned. I just lost 50 lbs, but have more to go, I may check it out.

Well, it was nice reading about you. BTW, my love language is encouraging words and my husbands is acts of service. I guess I should mention that his number 1 is my number 5 and vice-versa. But, we've found a way to speak each other language.

Blessings,
Georgia Mom